Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting Up New Forums
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Articles and Miscellany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hocus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Setting Up New Forums Reply with quote

Longhook:

I followed the links to your site from a post I saw at the Motley Fool boards. There's a lot of great functionality here!

I have a question about your plans for these boards. Is it permissible for community members to set up new boards? Or is that something that only you are able to do?

I posted for a long time at the Motley Fool's Retire Early Home Page (REHP) board. On May 13, 2002, I put up a post there questioning the results of a study put forward by the board founder (intercst) that led to a good bit of controversy. Over time, it was proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the study in fact had been prepared through use of an analytically invalid methodology and that the number intercst had been putting forward was indeed way off the mark. He started a smear campaign aimed at driving me and anyone who posted in support of me off the board. I asked Motley Fool for help, but TMFBogey's response was that he considered intercst the "Board General" of that board, and, thus, he would "probably" side with him regardless of what posting practices he engaged in to get rid of me and anyone else posting honestly on the subject matter of his study, safe withdrawal rates (SWRs).

There was a great deal of support for my position in the early days of the discussions; I had three of the top six most popular on-topic posts of the year 2002. Thus, it took a great deal of effort on the part of the group supporting intercst to have me removed. Many board members asked that reasoned debate of SWRs be permitted, but intercst and his supporters hotly opposed this idea. Ultimately, they resorted to threats of physical violence and even death threats as a means of intimidating anyone who posted accurate information about SWRs. Most of the best posters from the board left in disgust as these tactics continued and Motley Fool failed to take any action.

Last May, Motley Fool banned me from the site for life. They did not claim that I broke any rules (and I did not). But they said that they were losing too many community members because of the SWR discussions. It is true that many posters left as a result of the smear campaign. Today, the board is a shadow of the resource it once was. Most of the threads today deal with political junk because most of the posters who were informed on the subject matter of the board are gone.

I intend to create a new community of people interested in learning how to achieve financial independence early in life. I started posting at the REHP board with the aim of building a community that would
create the most valuable resource on Planet Earth for learning about the subject. My efforts were successful. Before I started posting, the REHP board was a small board. I was able with my posts to attract enough great posters to make that board the second most successful financial board in TMF history (second to the LBYM board). I want to build a new community of posters interested in sharing information about financial independence, and I want the new one to be protected from intercst-type posters and other sorts of disruption.

I don't have time to work on this today. I have several projects that are keeping me very busy. But I am hoping that some time will open up in a few months. I am aiming to have a web site up by May, and I will be using the web site to promote a book that I have written on how to save effectively. I will be providing lots of free stuff at the web site to draw people there and to hold them there. I would like to have a message board system available to permit them to have conversations about what they learn, and to share information they have picked up from their own research or personal experience.

One possibility is that I will set up my own message board site, similar to what you have set up here. Given my experiences with Motley Fool, I have a desire to have as much control as possible over the message boards I set up.

That said, there are downsides to setting up my own site. Cost is one. Another is the time that must be put into administration. A third is that there is not a base of people in place to post at a new site. So I would consider putting up my new boards here, in the event that you saw appeal in that.

I am not sure what the focus of the first board would be. One possibility is that it would be a general Financial Independence board. Another is that it would focus on my book. A third is that it would focus on the question of Safe Withdrawal Rates (SWRs). The level of controversy that the SWR discussions inspired (there were tens of thousands of posts responding to the ideas I put forward) has made me interested in digging a lot deeper into the SWR question. It's possible that in time I would like to have separate boards on each of these topics, and perhaps some others as well.

I also have a desire to gain control of the REHP board at the Motley Fool site. That site has a great eyeball-generation engine. There are always new people stopping by to hear the ongoing discussions. I would like to have a board there that could be used to attract newcomers to the Financial Independence movement, and also have other, smaller, boards not governed by Motley Fool that could be used to explore issues in-depth.

There were hundreds of fine posters who built the REHP board into a valuable resource, and I believe that Motley Fool was out of line in failing to enforce the published posting rules against intercst when he engaged in efforts to destroy the resource those many fine posters created. Posters at TMF pay for access to the boards and the Terms of Service are a contract between the site owners and community members, in my view. I believe that Motley Fool should be held accountable for the damage they have done to the REHP community. For an early retiree planning on living on $60,000 a year in retirement, the intercst study gets the amount of capital that needs to be accumulated to provide for a safe retirement wrong by $1.5 million. So the financial losses that have been suffered and that will be suffered by Retire Early community members are substantial.

My intent is to use a new board not only to permit the sharing of ideas on financial independence, but also for the purpose of building a community that will be used to take over control of the REHP board. Once I am voted in as "Board General" of the REHP board, I plan to lead a campaign for establishment of a system that provides protection from intercst-type posters for people using the boards for legitimate purposes.

I believe that internet message boards have the potential to be a valuable communications medium of the future. But I do not think that they will be able to achieve their potential until systems are put into place that require site owners to administer their rules in a reasonable fashion. Given the great value that the REHP board provided in the days when I was the dominant force in building it, and the decline it has experienced since Motley Fool made the decision that it would not enforce the site rules against individuals it designates as "board generals" (a concept mentioned nowhere in the published rules), I believe that the SWR controversy constitutes an outstanding case study of the importance of reasonable rules enforcement. I hope to be able to use this case study as a tool for attracting public attention to the irresponsible board administration practices followed at Motley Fool, and to generate public pressure for changes in those practices.

My question is--Do you have any interest in me setting up boards along the lines described above at your site, or would you prefer that I set up my own site for them? My inclination is to set up my own site regardless. But in the event that you had an interest in me putting the new boards here, I might want to spend some time thinking through the pros and cons of the two alternatives.

I am grateful for any input you can provide.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, long post!

I don't mind setting up boards here for posters -- it doesn't cost me anything -- but Book of Hook really was meant to be a domain about my ego, you know, "All things that Brian likes". REHP and LBYM aren't on that list =)

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a board, the bigger problem is that I don't think a lot of the people that may end up here are going to be that interested in those topics if they came here to read about, say, Football.

The other problem is that you won't have much say in the rest of the site design, and it sounds like you really want something that is an integrated experience -- site, forums, you name it -- devoted to what you have to say and your philosophy.

Given that, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do this yourself, because you'll maintain absolute control.

The amazing thing is that you can do this pretty cheaply! For starters, this forum software is free! You don't have to be an expert to set it up, but you do have to comfortable managing a Web site -- I'm more than willing to help you get your own site started.

For content, I've been using Fog Creek's CityDesk, which is a VERY easy program to use, and it's also very inexpensive. You just write articles and they get posted. The hardest part will be the initial site design, but even then I'd recommend just purchasing an inexpensive set of templates from someone.

Finally, there's the Web host -- LunarPages.com are a great Web host (although, sadly, for legacy reasons BookOfHook is actually hosted on A+.net) that is very inexpensive. I think they're $8/month if you prepurchase.

For what you want, CityDesk + phpBB + LunarPages sounds like a killer combo, and you'd be able to have an entire site devoted to your investment and saving strategies. You would also get secondary benefits of having an easy place to host files, your own custom e-mail addresses, etc.

So while I'm not opposed to setting up a forum for you, I don't think it'll generate the value/interest you'd like, simply because there won't be the ancillary stuff people would expect.

-Hook
hocus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<i>I'm more than willing to help you get your own site started. </i>.

Thanks, for making that offer, Longhook.

Everything in your response makes sense to me. It will be a few months before I will be able to work on developing the site. At that time, I will work my way through some books before asking anyone for help. But I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there is a technical aspect or two that I will not be able to figure out on my own. At that time, I may ask you a question or two about something basic that is holding me back.

I also appreciate the recommendations re support services and software. I don't know too much about what's involved at this point. But I will keep your recommendations in a file, and refer to them later.

I have one last question for now that might help me a bit in deciding which of several paths to travel with this. Ignoring what's involved in the non-discussion board aspects of a web site (because I have to incur those myself regardless of what I decide to do re message boards), can you say roughly how much per month it costs to have a discussion board setup roughly with the capacity of your own? Or, if you prefer, could you provide a range of numbers from low-end system to high-end? I understand that the forum software is free. But aren't there other costs that come into play from adding a discussion board to a web site? Is it possible to break out the discussion board aspects of the cost equation? In the event that you are willing to say, I am asking so that I will know whether this (adding a discussion board to the site) is something that I can afford to do on my own or whether it would make sense to get some others involved in the project.

Regardless of whether you feel comfortable answering the last question or not, thanks very much for the information you have already provided. It's been a significant help.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, most Web hosts don't care if you run a discussion form and won't charge additionally for it. The only major caveats will be bandwidth, disk space and MySQL servers.

To use phpForums you'll need to have an available MySQL database, which most Web host providers can give you, but some very, very cheap accounts won't necessarily provide this (and definitely most free accounts won't). But starting at about $13/month or more, a MySQL database should be included.

After that, all you really have to worry about is bandwidth and disk space, and since even most cheap hosts still provide decent bandwidth (and forums don't consume much bandwidth at all) and disk space (50+MB), you can get up and running with no additional cost.

I think I'm using the Solo XR package from APlus.net, and it's less than $20/month. And the LunarPages accounts are only $8/month, and I think are probably generaelly superior to the A+.net offerings.

So the short answer is -- until you start getting into a LOT of messages and posts/day, there won't be additional cost (but, of course, this will depend on the host you choose in the end).
hocus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhook: "until you start getting into a LOT of messages and posts/day, there won't be additional cost "

Thanks for your response, Longhook. That's encouraging, and knowing that is a big help in my effort to decide which way to go with this project.

Good luck with your site!
wailian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So discover the print that pleases you most. A further significant decision although getting your black scrub jacket is likely to be the option of material. Immediately after all,Moncler Femme, this garment has a purpose. To keep you warm. For this function, certain kinds of materials and fabrics are, needless to say, greater than other people. Moncler Homme, and poly-cotton blends, for instance are considerably warmer than pure 100 percent cotton is. Similarly, supplies like fleece, both natural and synthetic, and soft wool, are wonderful for keeping warm. So, take into consideration what type of material would be finest for your black scrub jacket, depending on how cold you expect it to get, where you want to wear it, and so on. When your decisions are made, a black scrub jacket can become a welcome and beneficial component of your wardrob Moncler veste. The moncler kids is very cool, comfortable and light with V collar, red color, long sleeves and a signature logo on the pocket on the chest. We offer free shipping on moncler hat for you. as the world famous brand is never go out of fashion and they are warm, durable and always looks classic. A handsome or pretty girl with slim figure will never refuse to wear giubbotti. It not only shows someone’s personality but also reveal his or her taste. Do you want to own one piece of this brand sweater? moncler boots are developed for icy wintry. It joins options for wintry. Moncler outlets are generally well-designed, trendy and furthermore desired just by a big quantity of style people. It is not needed to make certain that you bother with all of the icy weather. Moncler down craze is perfect to the medical and furthermore vigor about.
wailian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These boots aspect a caused distress suede toe, heel and lower limb and the behind axle shaft with bolstered stitched seam Ugg Sheepskin Cuff underscores on the cover. ugg boots clearance to captivate much of the world as the best blizzard boots succession comepose raw elements, goods produced of hand-stitched to assure largest durability.South Africa correspondent Scott Bobb freshly stayed at a de-mining venture in midpoint Angola and filed this report from Huambo.It is twelve noon in a paddock 30 kilometers exterior Huambo.This portion is from our websitePut in expressions like UGG boots outlet sale or discount ugg boots outlet in Google, you will find yourself principally shown in the main purpose of the yardstick web-site of Australian Sheepskin UGG boots outlet sale. Otherwise you might get in actual intro of the approach in Wikipedia-the cost-free encyclopedia site. You could quickly observe these boots find yourself getting more divergent belonging in the main purpose of possibly the most picked elements in prevailing night time manner arena.The soles are intrepid rubber outsoles that are slip-and-oil resistant, to safeguard you with reputable multi-surface traction, that is certainly valued in sanctioning a solitary to stroll on any terrain with snugness and self-confidence
chicron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

It\'s estimated that in 2008 the company made a net income of around $1 Plus, when the customers get the wrong merchandise delivered nike shoes , they are given the option to request for a refund or exchange for other merchandise There are many on-line stores available to supply cheap but fine goods to customers nike online store So, it only makes sense that if you are rocking a blue pair of kicks on the court, buy nike online you are nike outlet as dependable and committed as a basketball player can get0 is the 2nd Level A top-end pair of Nike shoes will be very lightweight and are perfect for experienced competitors looking to gain that additional air max nike edge in performance As these comfortable shoes are excellent for walking and running, many citizens will purchase them for common use This is one strong performing basketball shoe There nike online are a lot of distributors and retailers that stock all type of Nike nike free run sneakers and should be readily available for youAlthough the Air Force 1 is the a lot of accepted solid white and atramentous colors,the shoes comes in abounding nike air max altered colors and blush schemes and they are showed in Nike Air Force Sale Nike shoes lead the trend of the fashion movement With stylish design and the use of durable materials, this nike shoes online ensures that you will be getting a great quality product nike shoes cheap that you will be able to use for a long timeBuying a pair of nike australia shoes and wearing it will make you more and more healthier and what is more you can be the one closest to the latest fashion trend
turpinivan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financial planning helps you to make financial successful. I am here wondering for financial planner who provides me complete information about Orlando financial planning.

orlando financial planning
justinjason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for another fantastic posting.

Usmle Step 2 Books
wailian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These boots aspect a caused distress suede toe, heel and lower limb and the behind axle shaft with bolstered stitched seam Ugg Sheepskin Cuff underscores on the cover. ugg boots clearance to captivate much of the world as the best blizzard boots succession comepose raw elements, goods produced of hand-stitched to assure largest durability.South Africa correspondent Scott Bobb freshly stayed at a de-mining venture in midpoint Angola and filed this report from Huambo.It is twelve noon in a paddock 30 kilometers exterior Huambo.This portion is from our websitePut in expressions like UGG boots outlet sale or discount ugg boots outlet in Google, you will find yourself principally shown in the main purpose of the yardstick web-site of Australian Sheepskin UGG boots outlet sale. Otherwise you might get in actual intro of the approach in Wikipedia-the cost-free encyclopedia site. You could quickly observe these boots find yourself getting more divergent belonging in the main purpose of possibly the most picked elements in prevailing night time manner arena.The soles are intrepid rubber outsoles that are slip-and-oil resistant, to safeguard you with reputable multi-surface traction, that is certainly valued in sanctioning a solitary to stroll on any terrain with snugness and self-confidence.
Sweet123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey something confusing in me about ugg boots, where do the genuine ugg boots come from? Made in china or hand made in australia or by american company deckers.
turpinivan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlando financial planning is a must have tool for investors across the globe. Financial Planning covers four pillars of a person's life. I am here looking for advice on financial planning. Please update me with complete information.

orlando financial planning
azsxa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Office 2010 Reply with quote

Some of these Office 2010 "tweaks" will make some applications unstable. MS Office 2010 Thus, expect that some of your applications will need to be Microsoft Office 2010 upgraded before they will work. As to the product itself, it Office 2010 key is definitely better than Vista as its faster, cleaner and more user friendly. I'd suggest Microsoft Office that you get a good book on Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Windows 7 to have next to you as you learn how it works as some things have changed.
nada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: nada Reply with quote

شركة تنظيف كنب بمكة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بمكة
شركة عزل خزانات بمكة
شركة عزل اسطح بمكة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمكة
شركة تسليك مجارى بمكة
شركة شفط بيارات بمكة
شركة رش مبيدات بمكة
نقل عفش بمكة
شركة تخزين اثاث بمكة
شركة تنظيف منازل بمكة
شركة مكافحة البق بمكة
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج وحجر بمكة
شركة تنظيف شقق بمكة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بمكة
شركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج وحجر بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة عزل حرارى بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف كنب بجدة
شركة جلى بلاط بجدة
شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة
شركة تنظيف شقق بجدة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بجدة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة عزل اسطح بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بدون تكسير بجدة
شركة تسليك مجارى بجدة
شركة تنظيف بيارات بجدة
شركة رش مبيدات حشرية بجدة
نقل عفش بجدة
شركة تخزين اثاث بجدة
شركات تنظيف المنازل بجدة
شركات مكافحة الحشرات فى جدة
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالمدينة المنورة
شركة جلى بلاط بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالمدينة المنورة
شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة عزل اسطح بالمدينة المنورة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تسليك مجارى بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تخزين اثاث بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بالبخار بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف شقق بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالمدينة المنورة
غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة عزل اسطح بالمدينة المنورة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تسليك مجارى بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة رش مبيدات بالمدينة المنورة
نقل عفش بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تخزين عفش بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركة عزل خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بجدة
شركة تنظيف شقق بجدة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بجدة
شركة نقل اثاث بجدة
شركات مكافحة الحشرات فى جدة
شركات رش المبيدات الحشرية بجدة
شركة تسليك مجارى بجدة
نقل عفش مكة
شركة تخزين عفش بمكة
شركة عزل اسطح بمكة
شركة تسليك مجارى بمكة
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بمكة
شركة تنظيف منازل بمكة
شركة تنظيف كنب بجدة
شركات مكافحة الحشرات في جدة
شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة
شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة
نقل عفش جدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركة تسليك مجارى بجدة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بجدة
شركة عزل خزانات بجدة
شركة نقل اثاث جدة
نقل عفش مكة
نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بمكه
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالطائف
شركة رش مبيدات بمكة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بمكة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالطائف
شركة تنظيف بمكة
شركة تنظيف موكيت بمكة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالطائف
شركة عزل اسطح بمكة
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بمكة
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركة رش مبيدات بجدة
شركة نقل اثاث بجدة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجدة
تخزين اثاث
شركة تخزين عفش بجدة
شركة تسليك مجارى بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجدة
شركات مكافحة الحشرات في جدة
شركة تنظيف شقق بجدة
شركة تنظيف فلل بجدة
شركة تنظيف بجدة
شركات تنظيف المنازل في جدة
شركة عزل خزانات بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بجدة
شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة نقل عفش بمكة
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
شركة تخزين عفش بجدة
شركة تخزين عفش بمكة
شركة تخزين عفش بالطائف
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف
نقل عفش مكة
نقل عفش جدة
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Articles and Miscellany All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: