Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

basketball or golf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Articles and Miscellany
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonBeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: basketball or golf Reply with quote

structure of the pros homeodomain and is called aclearance receptor. The other 590 Receptor Biochemistry lations are catalyzed by thePEM2/OPI3
with the bonds of the reactants and products of chemical reactions is the This picture shows a victim of  information about all the birth control methods
ble ability to help stop one of the world?s biggest health crises to date: obesity. tion is bad. What to do? autumn and the winter holidays to mind
tive regulatory molecules, or to the gain the auxiliary protein Vif was shown to be ever, the information available from an

Last edited by JonBeer on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Liz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Yo Yo Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you're a Fool to leave the Fool!

Have to echo these sentiments.
Wish you had left the door open just a crack - don't be too proud to back down if you decide you acted a mite hastily.

You do realize that, without you, HWTSC will go back to the dogs.

At any rate, you will be missed and I do hope you change your mind.

Liz

I tried to post with Klash as the user name and it won't let me - says name already taken. Yeah, by me.
Klash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Ho Ho Ho Reply with quote

OK

I guess it helps to be logged in.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did I even post in HWTSC?

Thanks for the nice words...I'm not sure if these forums will ever be that full, but I'll definitely be watching them in case anyone wants to say something.

And, of course, people can feel free to post links to TMF =)
FordLove

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Hook, are you stuborn enough to make that a GBF or just a good bye for now.

I returned home tonight to find a bunch of FA'd posts as well. One as old as 11/21. That was on the Board of Pure Evil, which is a sort of high traffic board. The rest of the posts stayed up, it was making fun of some dude caught with a sheep I think. But my post which said "Officer, the wife said "F**k ewe, and I do what the wife tells me" got FA'd. So what the fool tells us here is that they are cool with beastiality, but bad language is right out.

I'm not sure if that had something to do with my complaining on the Censorship board, or if some yahoo just went and FA'd my posts.

We all have 'Buttons', we see yours in your reviews of games. One of mine tends to be censorship, especially when it is for the sheer unadulterated hell of it.

James
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ford,

I assume "GBF" means "Good Byte Forever"? I have a membership through 2005, but I'm not sure if I'll return.

The FA may have been the result of my FA carpet bomb I did. I was so pissed off that they pulled a post because it had MASKED profanity that I was curious if they'd stick to that policy throughout.

And they did. I FAed about 30 posts before I left just doing a search on "f**k" and "fscking" and FAed them -- including a couple of my own!

And they dutifully removed them. At that point I just gave up. If they couldn't see the ridiculousness of it, oh well.
chicagobob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Boycott use of the word "Yo" Reply with quote

Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo Yo

Ok, I guess this account works. Just testing. I'll still be mostly at TMF, but just thought I would say Yo.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acknowledged.

I'll be surprised if people actually show up here, but they'll at least know they have an audience of one =)
ukbankerboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianhook wrote:
And they did. I FAed about 30 posts before I left just doing a search on "f**k" and "fscking" and FAed them -- including a couple of my own!

So it was you! I blamed MayorMcDork (mayoredux) for that.

UKBB
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was me "throwing a hissy fit" as someone else mentioned.

I'm torn whether that behaviour was petty on my part or not, because, you know, it WAS petty. It was super petty. But at the same time, how can asking for even enforcement of the rules be considered petty?

If someone went through and FAed every post with masked profanity, such as on the Ba Da Bing! board, you'd see the place become a frickin' wasteland. But TMF is sticking to its guns on this one, for better or for worse.

And frankly, I don't think Bogey did anyone favors by pulling his own post from Ba Da Bing.

-Hook
dcardno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Masked Profanity Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm torn whether that behaviour was petty on my part or not, because, you know, it WAS petty.

Of course it was petty. So what? TMF could have (and should have) just seen the messages, yawned, and gotten back to pulling other posts. That they didn't reflects on them, not you.

Quote:
And frankly, I don't think Bogey did anyone favors by pulling his own post from Ba Da Bing.

Of course not - other than making hmself look like a doofus (there's a news flash!). There are various ways to deal with a mistake in judgement - one is to admit it, and then go on; one is to rationalize and justify it, and another is to try and hide it. In general, reliable people choose the first method, whiners choose the second, and weasels choose the third. Bogie started with option 2, then tried to steer a fine course between option 1 and 3 - removing the post means that he won't have to be held accountable for his actions, because sooner or later, people are going to forget.

The Fool has never understood the maxim that you own your words - particularly the downside, that you are responsible for all the stupid stuff you have ever said. For guys who claim 'building on-line communities' as a core competency (or at least, did, at one time), they just don't get it....

Dean
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue pretty strongly that TMF has very little skill at building on-line communities. The primary reasons they have been successful to date are pretty simple:

- they had a strong central theme to attract people, coupled with little competition in that area (investing for the individual)

- they charge money, which limits the riff-raff (and makes it easier to police)

Because most on-line communities are free, the ability to manage them is extremely difficult. TMF doesn't have that disadvantage.

Where TMF really gets it wrong is that they think they have it hard. They're dealing with an active community of MAYBE a few thousand people. They should try taking their policies and seeing how well they'd survive trying to manage an on-line game community such as Everquest or Ultima On-line -- they'd be fired almost instantly for mismanagement.

They suffer from what I call "lonely guitarist syndrome". Every guitarist that learns to play alone thinks he's a lot better than he is, simply because by his own standards he's improved a lot, and he's never been exposed to others. TMF is much the same way -- they believe they're much better than they are at community management solely because they're still in business, which is just a sad way of measuring your abilities.

-Hook
Mondain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I can still out-shred you. So it's moot.
ukbankerboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianhook wrote:
- they charge money, which limits the riff-raff (and makes it easier to police)

But that also is causing problems in the community. In the past if someone pissed you off you could create a doppel and use the doppel to rip the offender apart. When they replied with the expected flame to your doppel you didn't take offense because, after all, they were only flaming the doppel. Things died down easier that way. Now everything is tied to one username and with the printed (or pixelated) word nothing is ever forgotten. The community is cannibalizing itself and slowly melting down.

UKBB
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKBB,

I tend to agree, but since TMF isn't forthcoming with numbers, there's really no way for us to know if they're melting down or not.

The sad thing is I WANT TMF to succeed, but I don't feel they're following policies to keep the community happy. I think they're keeping the community STABLE, but not dynamic and growing. It's hard for me to recommend TMF to anyone, for example, simply because I felt that I had to drive the discussion on a lot of the boards that interested me.

I'm not saying that as an egocentric thing, but it's simple fact that a LOT of previously active boards are ghost towns. That's not a good thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Articles and Miscellany All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: