Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone tried Ogre?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrepid

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Has anyone tried Ogre? Reply with quote

I have been looking around for a good cross-platform graphics engine and ran across Ogre. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.ogre3d.org/

On the subject of cross-platform graphics tools... I am trying to understand why many of these libs support both DirectX and OpenGL. Why not just support OpenGL since it is present on most platforms and forget DirectX all together? It seems like twice the work for little gain.

John
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogre has a good reputation and, of course, it's open source and free. Torque is also good, but it's not free (but it is very inexpensive, last I heard). There's also The Nebula Device and Crystal Space, but I'm not familiar with either of them.

The reason they support DirectX as well is because it often has more stable driver support and newer features than OpenGL.
Anveo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I?ve been using OGRE as a graphics engine for a little over a year now. Although I am not terribly interested in my title being cross-platform, the design of the system is superb. But keep in mind all it is just a graphics rendering system, not a full game engine like Crystal Space or Torque is. In my limited experience with Crystal Space about two years ago the code was fairly messy and bloated, and from what I have heard things haven?t changed to much. I don?t have any experience with the Nebula Device, but that engine looks promising too.

Since parts of OGRE (such as the core rendering system) are very abstracted, it is quite easy to plug-in different graphics API?s (currently OpenGL, DX7, and DX9) and different scene managers (bunch of these already). If someone wanted to use it for PS2 or Gamecube, it wouldn?t be terribly hard to incorporate either of those API?s. Many PC developer tools these days are also only available for DirectX and Windows platforms (NVIDIA?s profiling tools for example).

I would suggest checking out http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_2.html#SEC2 and http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_3.html#SEC3. Those pages describe the basic idea of the OGRE engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: