Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving away from make and cvs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Moving away from make and cvs Reply with quote

I'm starting a new project so I finally biting the bullet and getting rid of any dependencies (no pun intended) on make, and I'm trying to migrate away from cvs as well.

make and cvs were great tools...fifteen years ago. After looking at a lot of alternatives, I've decided to go with 'jam' and 'svn' (Subversion). 'jam' is 'just another make' done by Perforce (it's open source as well), and it's free, and it seems to just magically work. IT's WAY easier to deal with than make, that's for sure.

Subversion is like cvs, but not shitty. That sums it up.

Of course, on Windows I still use MSVC++ for build management because pretty much everything else sucks by comparison.
mjarosch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: CMake and Premake Reply with quote

Brian,

Have you ever looked at CMake or Premake. They are make replacements, but with an interesting twist.

Instead of building the project when you run them, they generate build files for the target platform. On windows they can build project files or nmake files, on linux they build makefiles, etc.

CMake is definetly more complete and supports more platforms, but Premake uses lua for it's build files, which is cool. They are both opensource projects, so the documentation isn't great, but it is enough to get by.

I was thinking about trying one out on my next project.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of those, but I'm not sure I'd want to support generation on every platform instead of just having a single file that worked on all platforms. Jam, for the most part, seems to work well, and scons is another I'd look at. In fact, it might be interesting to do a build system using Lua files as the actual build files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: