Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The reading list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "Art of Wargaming". Surprisingly good, almost academic treatment of professional and hobbyist wargaming.

Been starting to work my through Revelation Ark. Also reading Python Cookbook. Been reading books about drumming too =)
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading "The Non-Designer's Design Book, 2nd Ed" by Robin Williams (not that one). Extremely good. That and the Copywriter's Handbook are two very good books that I think are relevant for anyone working in communications, particularly Web site design, print ads, writing copy, or user interface design.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to massive time pressures elsewhere, I haven't been reading much at all. I just finished a really, really bad Changeling book set in the World of Darkness ("Pomegranates, Full and Fine" I think), have just restarted Araminta Station by Jack Vance, and am also reading "Art of the Start" by Kawasaki.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "Art of the Start" a while ago, a MUST read for anyone running or starting a business. Finished Araminta Station -- a fairly generic, but enjoyable, Vancian revenge novel. Starting "Olympos" the sequel to Ilium.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the Cadwal Chronicles by Vance (Araminta Station, Ecce and Old Earth, Throy) and it was pretty much generic Vance. Back on Revelation Ark, and then I plan on bouncing over The Scar.

In the land of non-fiction I've been reading Lengyel's excellent book on 3D math for games, and a Dover book on Linear Algebra and Tensors.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, forgot to keep updating this. Finished Absolute Gap, the last of the Reynolds Inhibitor stuff. Meh. Starting "The Scar". My non-fiction list is so long it's mind boggling, but it's mostly books on Python, Haskell, Zope, etc.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still reading "The Scar" slowly. As mentioned before, also reading a lot of other different books, including one on Haskell, several on Zope, "Linear Algebra Demystified", Adobe Illustrator CS Hands On Training, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and probably about 3-4 books on ActionScript and Flash.

I'm looking at ActionScript pretty seriously for a little side-project* in the future, once I finish up some contracting work I've been doing.

* Yes, I know, I know.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "The Scar", still reading "Collapse", started reading "Spin State" by Moriarty because Amazon said I'd probably like it (and so far it's Godawful), started reading "Angry White Pyjamas" which is awesomely terrific in a Pahlaniuk-Lite or Po Bronson kind of style.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished "Angry White Pyjamas", a wonderful travelogue style of book that also has a big aikido attraction to it. Finished Funakoshi's "Karate-do: My Way of Life", which was interesting but not OMG INSIGHTFUL.

Finished "Spin State" and it was perfectly exactly the wrong level of quality -- bad enough that I couldn't really enjoy it, but not so bad that I'd stop reading. It was a struggle to get through but I felt compelled to continue on even though I found none of the characters or plot that interesting.

Finished "Collapse". Typical Diamond -- very insightful, long winded, and depressing.

Moving onto something else, probably Alastair Reynolds "Diamond Dogs, Turqouise Days".

Also been reading like 15 different computer and/or martial arts books and/or music books.
CGB Spender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianhook wrote:
In the land of non-fiction I've been reading Lengyel's excellent book on 3D math for games, and a Dover book on Linear Algebra and Tensors.

Which Dover book would that be? Would you recommend it for learning tensor concepts?
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGB Spender wrote:

Which Dover book would that be? Would you recommend it for learning tensor concepts?

Can't recall, but like most Dover books....it's rather crusty and not the best educational book, but it's cheap.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading a stack of gaming programming books, e.g. GPU Gems and the like. So far been pretty happy with the quality.

Started reading the Walking Dead graphic novel. Entertaining but unintentionally cheesy.

Reading "Practical Subversion" as well. Also reading Shadowrun 4E rulebook.

Other than Walking Dead, no fiction in the queue.

Finished Iron Council by Mieville, didn't realize I hadn't read it.
Gus_Smedstad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally looked at some of your entries for the last month here.

I thought "spin state" was absolutely awful. I put it down after about 50 pages. I'm glad to hear that it didn't get any better.

"Collapse" wasn't as good as "Guns, Germs, and Steel," I thought. Try "1491," by Charles C. Mann. He covers some of the same material, the collapse of the Maya, and civilizations in the Amazon, and he disagrees about the ecological causes. Nor is he being dogmatic, since he points out a lot of flaws in conventional views of pre-Columbian civilizations. I'd say he's thought as hard about the subject as Diamond has, and come to different conclusions.

I did find Diamond's discussion of how far-sighted oil companies tend to be fascinating. I wasn't expecting that, I rather expected the same things he condemns the mining companies for.

- Gus
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus_Smedstad wrote:

I thought "spin state" was absolutely awful. I put it down after about 50 pages. I'm glad to hear that it didn't get any better.

I kinda wish it had been just 1 notch worse so I would have given up sooner, but it was JUST not bad enough for me to suffer through. Ugh.

Did you like Iron Council?

Quote:

I did find Diamond's discussion of how far-sighted oil companies tend to be fascinating. I wasn't expecting that, I rather expected the same things he condemns the mining companies for.

I think Diamond tries very hard to be balanced. He never gets into this hippie mindset of "humans are bad, Gaia can't survive us!" and I found it fascinating and chilling how common infanticide is for sustainable societies.
Gus_Smedstad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so put off by Perdido Street Station that I haven't purchased anything further by China Mieville. Not so much that I'm dead set against reading anything more, i.e. the way I feel about Alistar Reynolds, but more I'm pretty sure it's going to be mediocre, like Richard Morgan.

I agree Diamond has integrity. I hadn't really caught the trend with infanticide, but it makes sense if you don't have birth control, and humans really aren't wired to stop having sex.

I have a few thoughts about infanticide, but I'll take them to another thread, to avoid hijacking this one.

- Gus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Books and Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: