Book of Hook Forum Index Book of Hook
Also, I can kill you with my brain

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The reading list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking Dead was good but cheezy. Eager to check out the second hardcover when it's released.

Finished "Monster Island" and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Reading "World War Z" next.
Gus_Smedstad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort-of enjoyed "The Zombie Survival Guide." I wasn't completely enthusiastic because the format was kind of limiting. A lot of it is just common sense, and the anecdotes end up being the more entertaining parts. Sounds like "World War Z" is a shift to entirely the latter.

I looked at "Monster Island" on Amazon since you mentioned it here, but... zombies with psychic powers? Maybe I just really didn't like what King did with that idea in Cell.

Which "Walking Dead" are you referring to? Amazon gives several different hits. The hardcover comic collection?

Sounds like you're on a zombie kick.

- Gus
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus_Smedstad wrote:
I sort-of enjoyed "The Zombie Survival Guide."

Just finished it. It was pretty amusing and good for ideas. I also just finished "Licensed to Kill" about private security contractors in Iraq and Afghanistan. Absolutely fascinating book.

Quote:
I looked at "Monster Island" on Amazon since you mentioned it here, but... zombies with psychic powers? Maybe I just really didn't like what King did with that idea in Cell.

It's pretty entertaining. There's no real psychic element to it -- hard to explain without ruining it.

Quote:
Which "Walking Dead" are you referring to? Amazon gives several different hits. The hardcover comic collection?

Yeah, I just have the compilation of the first few volumes.

Next up is World War Z and Monster Nation. Started Monster Nation already.

Last edited by brianhook on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Mondain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when do people have time to read?
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mondain wrote:
when do people have time to read?

When you make it a priority. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says "I don't have the time" or, if you REALLY want to get my hackles up, "I'd do that, but I just DON'T HAVE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU".

We all got 24 hours in a day, we all have to make choices as to how we spend those.

Resource management -- it's not just for games!
Mondain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno man, we cant all spend all day in a sbux looking at tail. /ducks Smile

and yes i know that was a total troll post. i guess i just dont make reading a priority anymore. maybe i should.
Gus_Smedstad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty silly to talk about "should" for recreational activities.

I agree with Brian, though, about the "don't have time" remark. In my experience, people who tell me they don't have time for reading (or whatever) have a couple of hours a night, minimum, that they have available for watching TV.

- Gus
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Monster Nation. Okay, THAT one had the psychic angle to it. Wellington doesn't screw around with pseudoscience, he ends up clearly stating that the zombie situation is the result of some kind of mystical occurrence that science doesn't comprehend. I'm fine with that, just like I'm fine with FTL drives that the author doesn't try to explain and we just accept work the same way most people accept that their cars run.

Entertaining read though.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently in the midst of reading Havana by Hunter. Again, his historical research is unparalleled, but the 2D caricature nature of his characters is starting to really bother me.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havana was okay, but his characterizations are starting to grate on my nerves.

Just finished an absolutely fascinating book on mixed martial arts competition called No Holds Barred by Clyde Gentry. I'm now starting on another book about a fighter that I can't recall, written by Sam Sheridan.

I'm also in the midst of The Origin of the Bible, Hammerjack, and the third in the Swans War saga by Sean Russell.
brianhook
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerjack is just crap, but I'm going to finish it. I hate it when non-technical writers try to write technical sounding material in an effort to sound real.

A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan is an awesome travelogue style book about the world of fighting (boxing, MMA, etc.). Incredible book.
max2011

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
vaseline52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: up Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy
wailian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we went to have a coffee. He was a very humourous man. He took me see his great experience. He was man of wisdom, a man of knowledge, a man of charm. We talked and talked that we both didnít find that the sun is down. .that was really a fantastic afternoon.At last, he suggested that we go to have a good supper. He said as i am a lady, then he was a gentleman. What a humourous man Finally, he give me a present which really shocked me again. He sent me a red Doudoune Moncler coat. What a surprise. Now he is my boyfriend.When I got into the house where my dad live, I looked around and found that my dad was really a tidy person. He could take care of himself and clean the room himself without my mom by his side. No sooner I went into the bedroom than I saw the long Moncler Femme women jacket in black on the bed. I knew it that must my dad had prepared gifts for me.I put the Moncler Homme on and came to my parents to show it. Though I didnít very satisfy the color, itís my dadís present and itís , I was still very happy. However, my dad laughed and told me the Moncler France was bought for my mom. My size was nearly the same to my mom, so it fitted me just well. When I was a little disappointed, my dad came into the room and brought a short in pink. He said that this one was the present to me.I was happy again and more happy because my dad chose my favorite color and my favorite brand of Moncler homme. After we having a good time in London for a month, we came back home together. My mom and I were wearing the Moncler France that my dad bought for us almost every day.
wailian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moncler veste made me desire for cream and the extra chocolate ruined my precious jacket. the first thing came into my mind was lie. i must tell a lie to my forever asking mum and wash it myself.Immediately I was back home, seeing my parents were absent, I sighed and started to clean my dear Doudoune Moncler . Out of curiosity, I put much salt on the dirty spot, as I read in a book teaching how to wash cream. Buried myself in the balcony, I was full of scare.Mum was back ,but I forgot that I had to hang it out to dry. So stupid I discovered Iíd better require the store to wash .everything was late, I should keep on lying. the idea shone when I saw my drawing pen, which was propylene. i painted a black rose on my snow-white
Moncler Femme, just within several seconds.I successfully dealed with the problem, when the strange rose presented in front of mum and me, she comforted again and again. A more precious has formed in addition to my kind lie.What do you think when you saw a woman or man have a LV bag or wear a moncler rousseau walked in the street? And what do you think about the luxury things? Do you like to buy luxury things in your life? Well, actually, this is just some questions, and many people think about them before!From my personal view, I think have luxury things are very important in oneís life, especially for business people. Now, I am going to talk about themoncler bulgarie.World famous brand, never go out of fashion and they are warm, durable and always looks classic, just like the timeless red bricks of Haward, which proves the words a poet said many years ago Ė a thing of beauty is a joy forever. Yet we can low the cost again if there happens to have for sale. And thereís no reason that we donít seize the precious chance now that we can buy quality goods at the special price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Book of Hook Forum Index -> Books and Movies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: